With the latest version of iTunes, you can browse and buy books from the iBooks Store on your computer and on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Browsing the iBooks Store on your computer
Follow these steps to install the latest version of iTunes. To read purchased books on your computer, you will need a Mac using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later and iBooks for Mac 1.0 or later. To read purchased books on an iOS device, you’ll need an iOS device with a compatible version of the iBooks app.
You can access Books by opening the iTunes Store in iTunes. Then, click Books from the top navigation bar in the iTunes Store.
You can browse by categories or search for your favorite books by title or author using the search function in the upper-right. Click the category selector from the Quick Links section to browse by category.
On a Mac using OS X Mavericks, you can use iBooks to buy books.
Buying and downloading books on your computer
When you find a book you like, you can purchase the book. On a Mac using OS X Mavericks, your books download to iBooks for Mac 1.0. If you want to send a book to your iOS device, use one of these methods:
- Sync it from your iTunes library to an iOS device. On a Mac using OS X Mavericks, you can also use iTunes to sync your iBooks Library to your iOS devices.
- Send it automatically from your computer to your iOS device.
If you’re using Windows or an OS X earlier than Mavericks, you can click Get Sample in iTunes to download the sample to iBooks on your compatible iOS device where you’re signed in to the iTunes Store. If you’re using iTunes on OS X Mavericks or later, click Get Sample in iTunes. A dialog will appear that lets you choose one of these options:
- Click Send to Devices to send the sample to the iOS devices where you’re signed in to the Store.
- Click Go to iBooks to show the book in the iBooks Store and download the sample to your Mac from the iBooks Store.
Books you purchase on your computer will download to your iOS device and your computer if you turn on Automatic Downloads. To enable Automatic Downloads, you must install iOS 4.3.3 or later on your iOS device. To use Automatic Downloads on iPhone 4 (CDMA Model), use iOS5 or later.
Note: You can only read books on iOS devices that have a compatible version of the iBooks app installed.
Using iBooks Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
To browse the iBooks Store on your iOS device, you must install the iBooks app. You can download the iBooks app for free from the App Store. To browse the iBooks Store, follow these steps:
- Open the iBooks app.
- When your bookshelf appears, tap the Store button.
- Tap Featured, Top Charts, Top Authors, or Search in the bottom navigation bar. You can also view featured books as well as books available on the New York Times bestseller lists (United States only).
- Tap a book to view more details or download a free sample. When you buy a book, the book will automatically appear on your iBooks bookshelf.
Get Started with iBooks
iBooks is a built in app on iOS 8. If you’re using an earlier version of iOS, you can download the iBooks app for free from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. On Mac, iBooks is included with OS X Mavericks or later. Then you can buy and download books, manage your purchases, organize your library, and more.
What do you need to use iBooks?
You can use iBooks on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 4 or later. You might need to meet these requirements for some features:
- To use iBooks for iOS 4.0 or later, you need iOS 8 or later.
- To use iBooks for iOS 3.2, you need iOS 7.
- To use books with iCloud, you need iOS 6 or later and a compatible device.
- To download from the iBooks Store or use iCloud features, you need an Apple ID and Internet access.
Some features of iBooks aren’t available in some iTunes Store (App Store) countries. iBooks isn’t compatible with original iPhone or iPod touch (1st generation).
How do you read books created with iBooks Author?
You can use iBooks for iPad or iBooks for Mac to read books created with iBooks Author. You might need a specific version of iTunes or iBooks to use iBooks Author:
- To sync books made with iBooks Author, you need iTunes 10.5.3 or later.
- For books created with iBooks Author 2.0 or later, you need iBooks 3.0 or later.
Is iBooks available in every country with an App Store?
Yes, iBooks and the iBooks Store are available in all App Store countries. iBooks Store content varies by country.
If you have an active Internet connection, you can access the iBooks Store:
- On iOS devices with iBooks 3.2 or earlier, open iBooks and tap the Store button.
- On iOS devices with iBooks 4.0 or later, you can access the iBooks Store with the icons on the bottom of the iBooks screen.
- On OS X Mavericks or later, open iBooks and click the iBooks Store button.
From the iBooks Store, you can browse by title, author, or genre. You can also see featured books and books available on the New York Times bestseller lists (United States only). Tap a book to see more details and download a free sample.
When you buy a book it automatically appears in your iBooks library.
Do Parental Controls apply to books?
Yes, Parental Controls are available for books that you’re reading on iOS 6 or later and OS X Mavericks or later.
How can I see which books are on the New York Times bestseller lists? (United States only)
From the iBooks Store, select NYTimes to view the weekly top fiction and nonfiction hardcover books. If a New York Times bestseller book isn’t available for download from the iBooks Store, it won’t be on the list.
What’s the typical file size for books from the iBooks Store?
The typical book is about 2 MB. Books that contain enhanced features, such as audio or video, vary in size depending on the content. Enhanced books might take longer to download or require a Wi-Fi connection to purchase.
The iBooks Store also offers textbooks that might be as large as 1 to 2 GB in file size. You might need a Wi-Fi connection to download them from an iOS device. Download times for textbooks vary depending on your Internet connection.
What digital book file types does iBooks recognize?
- iBooks supports the EPUB file format and PDFs.
- iBooks 2.0 or later also supports the iBooks format used in iBooks Author.
- Other digital book file types aren’t supported at this time.
Some PDFs might not be compatible with iBooks. If you want to add books and PDFs from outside the iBooks Store to iBooks, they need to be DRM-free. You can sync them using iTunes 10.5.3 or later.
Can I download books from other websites?
Yes, you can download EPUB and PDF files on your Mac or PC. To add them to your iTunes library, choose File > Add to Library, or drag the EPUB or PDF file to the Books library on your computer. If you’re using OS X Mavericks or later, you can add them to your library in iBooks. To read your books, sync them to your device. The books must be in one of the above supported formats.
Can I purchase a book from my computer?
In certain countries you can browse and purchase books from the iTunes Store on your computer. You can also purchase books from iBooks in OS X Mavericks or later.
Can I copy my books to other computers or devices?
You can automatically download new purchases to your other computers or devices by turning on Automatic Downloads.
Are book samples from the iBooks Store downloaded to iBooks?
Yes, when you tap Get Sample for a book in the iBooks Store, iBooks downloads an excerpt from the book to your library. After reading the sample, you can buy or download the complete book from the last page of the sample. If you get the complete book, it replaces the sample in your library.
Is there a limit to the number of books I can have?
The number of books you can have in iBooks depends on the space available on your device. iBooks doesn’t limit the number of books in your library.
Can I gift a book?
Yes, you can gift books.
Depending on your settings, you can see all of your purchased books in your library:
- In iBooks 3.0–3.2, turn on Show all Purchases in the Collections menu.
- In iBooks 4.0 or later, turn off Hide iCloud Books in the Collections menu.
- In OS X Mavericks or later, turn on Show Purchases in iCloud in the View menu.
Can I download my previously purchased book again at no additional cost?
You can download past purchases from the iBooks Store at no additional cost. Here’s how to download a book again:
- Log in to the iBooks Store using the Apple ID that you originally used to purchase the book.
- Go to the Purchased page.
- On an iOS device, tap Store (if you’re using iBooks 3.2 or earlier), then tap Purchased.
- On OS X Mavericks or later, click iBooks Store, then Purchased under Quick Links.
- Find the book you want to download again. It should have an iCloud badge.
- Tap the cover of the book to download it to your device.
Learn more about downloading past book purchases to your computer. Previous purchases might be unavailable if they are no longer on the iBooks Store. Downloading previous purchases isn’t compatible with iPhone 4 (CDMA Model).
Can I back up the books I purchased?
Yes, any books you download from the iBooks Store are automatically added to your iTunes library the next time you sync your device with your computer. To sync, use a computer authorized with the same Apple ID that you used to download the books from the iBooks Store.
What happens if a publisher updates their book on the iBooks Store?
If the publisher updates a book, iBooks for iOS (v3.0 or later) and iBooks for Mac offer free updates to your iBooks purchases.
To rearrange books in your iBooks library, touch and hold a book, then move it where you want it. You can also sort books in iBooks by switching to List view and tapping Most Recent, Titles, Authors, or Categories.
You can also organize your books these ways:
- A grid or list view.
- Specific collections based on a topic. For example, you can put all your books and PDFs related to your work in a single collection.
To use Collections, tap the Collections button, or the name of the collection on your iPhone or iPod touch to change or add new collections.
You can set up how you want your books to appear, add bookmarks, share your thoughts, and more.
Do books from the iBooks Store have any accessibility features?
Can iBooks open books in different languages?
Yes, iBooks can display books written in many languages.
Can I view textbooks in iBooks?
Yes, you can see interactive books on iBooks for iOS (v2.0 or later) on the iPad and iBooks for Mac (v1.0 or later). Interactive books include study cards, glossary cards, and more.
Can iBooks play audio or video included with books?
Yes, enhanced books can automatically play audio or video in the book.
Can iBooks read books aloud?
Yes, you can use the read-aloud feature included in select children’s books from the iBooks Store. With the read-aloud feature, a real narrator reads the book to you and, in some books, highlights the words as you read along.
Can iBooks open illustrated books?
Yes, you can see illustrated books (such as children’s books, cookbooks, and art books) on your compatible iOS device or Mac using OS X Mavericks or later.
Can I bookmark and save my page?
Yes, iBooks automatically remembers where you left off each time you close a book or return to your Home screen. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap the bookmark icon in the upper-right corner to bookmark a specific page. On your Mac, select Edit > Add Bookmark.
You can wirelessly sync your Bookmarks, Highlights, and Notes with your other devices using your iTunes Store account. In iBooks 4.0 or later on your iOS device, tap Settings > iBooks > Sync Bookmarks and Notes > On. If you’re using an earlier version of iBooks, tap Settings > iBooks > Sync Bookmarks > On. To sync from your Mac, choose iBooks > Preferences and select “Sync bookmarks, highlights, and collections across devices.”
Can I highlight text and make notes?
Yes, iBooks includes Highlight and Note features. You can highlight any text within a book. Then you can create a Note from your highlighted selection.
See your Highlights and Notes:
- Tap the Table of Contents button.
- Tap Bookmarks. Highlights and Notes appear in their own section under Bookmarks.
Can I share my thoughts about my books with my friends?
In iBooks for iOS 3.0 or later and in iBooks for Mac, you can share highlights and selections on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail.
Can I change the appearance of my books?
You can change EPUB books, but not PDFs or books created with iBooks Author. Here’s what you can adjust:
- Set the font size and choose from five included fonts.
- Adjust the brightness of the device’s display to comfortably read your books in any lighting. In iBooks 4.0 or later, you can use the following themes: White, Sepia, and Night. Select the Night option within iBooks to read books in the dark. You can turn on the Auto-Night theme to automatically switch to the Night theme in low light.
- Change the appearance of books by adjusting the contrast setting on your iOS device. To adjust the contrast, tap General > Accessibility and select White on Black. When you open iBooks, you books will have white text on a black background.
- In iBooks 3.2 or later, you can use the Scrolling View to read your books in a continuous scroll. You can use this feature in any theme.
Can I read my books while my device is in airplane mode?
Yes, you can read your books while the device is in airplane mode. You don’t need an Internet connection to read books downloaded to your library.
Does iBooks include a dictionary?
Yes, iBooks allows you to look up the definition of words using an English, German, Spanish, French, Simplified Chinese, or Japanese language dictionary.
Can I install and use custom fonts?
No, not at this time.
Can I print my books and PDFs from iBooks?
You can print PDFs and notes you’ve entered from iBooks; however, you can’t print EPUB books.2 You can also email PDFs and notes you’ve written from iBooks.
Printing from iBooks requires an iPad, Phone, or iPod touch with iOS 4.2 or later and iBooks 1.2 or later with a supported AirPrint printer. iOS 4.2 and iBooks 1.2 aren’t compatible with original iPhone or iPod touch (1st generation).
Can I pinch a book closed?
In iBooks 4.0 or later, you can pinch a book closed on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Will the Kindle app or other eBook readers for iPhone work on iPad?
Kindle and most eBook reader apps designed for iPhone or iPod touch should work with iPad. Books downloaded from the Kindle Store and other books that aren’t in a DRM-free standard EPUB format aren’t compatible with iBooks.
Organize your books
Browse your books:
Sort your books:
Show all books you purchased:
Add a collection:
Delete books from your Mac:
Tips for managing your iBooks library and storage on iOS devices
Learn about managing your iBooks library and storage on your iOS devices.
There are several ways you can manage your iBooks library between iOS devices:
- If you want all of your books organized in the same way on all of your iOS devices, go to the iBooks panel in Settings, and set Sync Collections to ON.
- If you prefer to manage your books and library organization separately between your iOS devices, go to the iBooks panel in Settings, and set Sync Collections to OFF.
With iBooks Sync Collections enabled
- Books will be organized in the same collections on all of your devices. You can read and organize your books with your iPhone or iPod touch while you’re on the go, and when you return home to your iPad, you’ll find your books in the same organization you created on your iPhone or iPod touch.
- When you delete a purchased book from your iBooks library on your iOS device, you have the option to Delete This Copy or Delete From All Devices.
- To free up storage on your device while keeping your library organization, tap Delete This Copy. The copy of the book on that iOS device will be removed, but the cover of the book will remain in your iBooks library with a cloud icon visible in the upper corner. To download the book again, just tap the book cover.
- To remove a purchased book from your library on all of your devices, tap Delete From All Devices. The book will be removed from all of your iOS devices, and its cover will only appear in the Purchased Books collection with a cloud icon visible in the upper corner. If you change your mind, you can download the book again from your Purchased Books collection.
With iBooks Sync Collections turned off
- You can organize books on one device without affecting the organization on another device. You can keep your books on your iPhone organized one way, while keeping a different set of books organized in a different way on your iPad.
- When you delete a purchased book from your iBooks library on your iOS device, you will have the option to Delete This Copy or Delete From Library.
- To free up storage on your device while preserving your library organization, tap Delete This Copy. The copy of the book on that iOS device will be removed, but the cover of the book will remain in your iBooks library with a cloud icon visible in the upper corner. To download the book again, just tap the book cover.
- If you choose Delete From Library, the book will be removed from your device, and its cover will appear only in the Purchased Books collection with a cloud icon visible in the upper corner. If you change your mind, you can download the book again from your Purchased Books collection.
Note: Whether you set iBooks Sync Collections to ON or OFF, if you delete a book that you didn’t purchase from the iBooks Store, the book can’t be downloaded again from either your Purchased Books collection or by using the cloud icon. You might not be able to download previous purchases from the iBooks Store for a variety of reasons (including if your purchase was refunded).
Enable Automatic Downloads
Automatically download purchases from the App Store, iBooks Store, or iTunes Store to your computers and iOS devices.
Content that’s eligible for Automatic Downloads will download automatically to iOS devices and iTunes-authorized computers associated with your Apple ID after you turn on the feature.
If you’re using Family Sharing, your family’s content won’t automatically download to your devices. Only content that you’ve purchased with your Apple ID will download automatically.
Requirements for Automatic Downloads
In order to turn on Automatic Downloads, you need:
- An iTunes Store account in a country that support iTunes in the Cloud.
- iTunes 10.3.3. or later.
- iOS 4.3.3 or later.
- To sign in to both your computer and your iOS device with the same Apple ID.
Turn on Automatic Downloads
On your computer
Music, Movies, TV Shows, and Apps
- Open iTunes.
- If you haven’t authorized your computer, choose Store > Authorize This Computer.
- Open the iTunes Store Preferences:
- Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences. Then click the Store tab.
- Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences. Then click the Store tab. Learn how to turn on iTunes menus in Windows 7 and 8.
- Select the content that you want to automatically download. If you can’t select these options, you need to sign in to the iTunes Store with your Apple ID.
In OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later and iTunes 11.1 or later, the Automatic Downloads preference for books is in the iBooks for Mac app. To turn on automatic downloads for books:
- Open the iBooks for Mac app.
- Choose iBooks > Preferences > Store.
- Select “Download new purchases automatically.”
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings > iTunes & App Store.
- If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap the content that you want to automatically download. If Books isn’t listed, download iBooks from the App Store.
You can turn Automatic Downloads on or off over your cellular network on an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + 3G. Go to Settings > Store and turn Cellular Data on or off. Cellular Data downloads are limited to a file size of 50 MB or smaller.
If your iOS device has an Internet connection and you enabled push notifications, the content should automatically download. On an associated device that doesn’t support Push Notifications, the specified content should automatically appear in the download queue where you can manually start the download within iTunes.
Music, movie and TV shows that you buy on your Apple TV will also automatically download to a Mac or PC running iTunes 12 on which you’ve turned on Automatic Downloads.
Automatic Downloads for music and downloading past music, movie, or TV show purchases might not be available in all countries. Find out if iTunes in the Cloud is available in your country.
Automatic Downloads for movies and TV shows is only available through iTunes 12. Automatic Downloads can’t be enabled for video on iOS.